In 1937, Pasadena physician Dr. William Neugebauer discovered the charm and seclusion of Wonder Valley, about 15 miles east of Twentynine Palms, California.After frequent visits to a friend’s home there, he purchased his own 25-acre parcel and began building a unique, architect-designed adobe cottage.
The Adobe became the Neugebauer family hideaway where the doctor would trailer the family’s horses anytime they could get away. He built a four-stall horse barn where his horses could vacation as comfortably as the rest of the family, and where Bamboo Harvester, better known by his stage name Mr. Ed, was also said to have vacationed.
HISTORY LIVES HERE
Today, the Adobe in the Palms is a historic vacation rental located just fifteen minutes from Joshua Tree National Park. The rustic, adobe-walled structure features hand-hewn 1880s-era timber beams supporting a hand-made clay tile roof and rooftop deck. Decorated with period furniture and movie memorabilia that recall the days of Westerns and film noir, the Adobe celebrates cinema, the American cowboy, and 1950s country music.
Many desert lovers have noticed the desert is not as deserted as it once was. What drove Dr. Neugebauer all the way out to the absolute quiet of Wonder Valley may be driving you, too. From the Adobe you’ll take in cross-valley vistas to Joshua Tree National Park, and breathtaking views of nearby Cleghorn and Sheephole Mountain Wilderness Areas. The roads aren’t paved, but neighbors are few and far between in Wonder Valley.
KEEP COOL OUTSIDE
The Adobe is a bit of an oasis, as it is sited over an aquifer that provides ample water for the mature eucalyptus, Palo Verde, palm and agave trees that surround and cool the home. Under the leafy canopy you’ll find a gas-fired barbecue, a fire pit and outdoor furniture for dining under the stars. Two additional 50-gallon drum barbecues are also available for large parties and family reunions. Wander the grounds of our 25-acre ranch and make your own memories. You’ll encounter a special peace and stillness that hasn’t changed since the ranch was established in the late 1930s.
STAY WARM INSIDE
Inside, the air-cooled Adobe features one full bathroom, two private bedrooms and additional beds and couches. While you won’t see an array of high tech, twenty-first-century kitchen gear, you will find robust and reliable mid-century appliances,period utensils, and dishware. In the winter you can keep warm by the hearth or gather around our wood-burning fireplace and stove while you spin Johnny Cash and Sons of the Pioneers records.
The Adobe sleeps six in beds, four more in cots and two more on couches. There’s an RV hookup with water and electricity on the grounds, and acres of room for dry-camping additional RVs, trailers, campers, and tents.
FEATURES AND AMENITIES
• Historic 1930s adobe structure
• Vintage architectural detail throughout
• Wood-burning fireplace and stove
• Air cooled
• Rooftop terrace with postcard views
• Two private bedrooms
• One bathroom with shower
• Full kitchen stocked with period housewares
• RV electrical and water hookups
• 25 very private acres
• Views of surrounding hillsides and mountains
• Absolute quiet and seclusion
• Nearby cell repeater tower for 5-bar connections
• Wireless hotspot connecting gear
• Shaded porches and patios
• Gas-fired grille, two 50-gallon barbecues and fire pit
• Stereo with turntable and classic country and rock music collection
• Mature palm, eucalyptus, agave, and Palo Verde tree canopy
• Four-stall horse barn
• Minutes from the Palms restaurant and bar
• Minutes from downtown Twentynine Palms
• Minutes from Joshua Tree National Park
• Minutes from local shooting range
• Minutes from Twentynine Palms municipal airport
PHOTO AND VIDEO SHOOT RENTALS
Our grounds and facilities are available for photographic and/or video media projects. WE MUST APPROVE ALL MEDIA PROJECTS and require a separate contract, fees, and insurance. UNAUTHORIZED PHOTO/VIDEO SHOOTS ARE STRICTLY PROHIBITED AND WILL BE MET WITH IMMEDIATE LEGAL ACTION.
JUST A FEW RANCH RULES. . .
• No shooting firearms of any kind
• No motorcycles or ATVs on the grounds
• Please use screen over fireplace
• No reckless driving/stirring up dust
• Keep speeds to 5 MPH max on grounds
• Please, no smoking indoors
• Do not harm natural vegetation or landscaping
• No unauthorized photo shoots; inquire about contract arrangements
• No tampering with smoke detectors
• No open fires outside of dedicated burn barrels or pits
• No outdoor fires in high wind conditions
|Rate Period||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
|My Standard Rate
2 Nights Nights min stay